Friday, August 8, 2014

Heavy Q&A : Devyn Haas

Devyn Haas is the main brain behind Philadelphia's Thunderfuck run and one hell of an artist. You may know him from the web as The Motorcyclist where he makes everyone jealous of all the cool shit he gets into.

The first time I met Devyn was pretty wild. The road was packed to the gills with 40 or 50 riders dipping turns, ripping wide open... sparks were flying, everyone was having a blast. As you know, the problem with those tight mountain roads is the whole issue of passing. So, some asshole crawling along in a box truck, fully aware of the increasingly anxious group of guys and gals on their steel steeds, refused to let us pass. After being robbed of miles and miles of sick mountain roads I was pretty livid. In the lead, just in front of me, was Devyn. I could tell he too was getting antsy. We all were.

For the good of the order I decided to pass that dickhead in the truck on the white line and stop traffic entirely. Everyone caught on to the plan immediately. Devyn flew by on the right and the entire group followed suit. We continued on and got to enjoy the rest of the route with white knuckles. Once we all arrived at the camp spot... well I can't really say much more for a variety of reasons, but you can be certain it was rad as hell.

Fuck that guy in the truck.

You can check out a more comprehensive gallery of his work here: The Motorcyclist
IG: @Isolastic_SuperRide














interview by C. Herr


1. Age, Location, and…?

28; Kensington, Philadelphia and fuck this, let's party! 


2. I was first introduced to your design savvy work on last years Thunderfuck run flyer. Did you go to school? If so, where and why?

Thanks, Thunderfuck was a fun happening I had a hand in—A weekly ride/bar party that eventually turned into the June campout party known as Barbary Breakout. 
I made the mistake of going to the Art Institute and I'm in debt up to my eyelids. 


3. You're a Philly guy, right? Best cheese steak? Best place to get bombed on the cheap?

Ishkabibble's on South is my go-to cheesesteak with their famous Gremlin soda. Allow an hour to operate heavy machinery. 
Perry's Place—Cheapest drinks in the city, no shit. Smoke all the cigarettes you want while playing pool or shuffleboard. Just don't order the soup.  


4. Do you have a studio/shop/garage/hole in the wall? and what music would we hear pouring out of it?

Garage. Usually a mess of droning psych rock like Wooden Shjips, Cosmic Dead and all things spawned by Brian Jonestown Massacre. Philly's own doom metal peddlers, Serpent Throne. When I need a lift, though, Ministry or New Order.  


5. CC's or CI's

I'm into just about anything with a motor.


6. Tell us about your most recent motorcycle adventure and the best moment from that said adventure.

Strange Days in Northern NJ was a hot mess this year, but it ruled once again. Best moment… Everything in between another motorcycle colliding with me on the way up and my belt snapping on the way back. 


7. Which Biltwell helmet do you have and would you let us in on what you might be doing to it?

I have a non-D.O.T. off-white Biltwell. I'm not sure. Usually I procrastinate and something comes out at the last minute. 




8. Is there anything else you want to tell me? 

l tell ya, I'm happy you guys are taking this on. It's good to see events like this take place on the East Coast. Events like this, the slew of good cycle runs and the Race of Gentlemen are giving us creative guys and builders good exposure out here. 



Haas-cast



*editors note: Serpent Throne shreds. Please play it loudly*




YO DEVYN! THANKS AS ALWAYS MAN! KEEP RULING THE PLANET! See you soon.

-ZK




No comments:

Post a Comment