Wednesday, August 13, 2014

HEAVY Q&A : ADI GILBERT

Tucked away in South West England resides Adi Gilbert. Adi is the main man of 99 Seconds, a design and illustration studio in Devon, UK. We were drawn to Adi due to his visual style first and foremost. There is an effortless quality in his work, but that being said, you can tell how much care goes into it. In the custom bike world the easiest reference for his work would be Side Burn magazine and other mags like that, but he's been at it hard since 1999 working for surfing companies, BMX and racing teams... you name it. The client list is solid and so is the work behind it. We are proud to have Adi Gilbert on our roster for the first ever Heavy Heads helmet show.

Give him a follow on the 'ol Instagram: @adi_gilbert









Here is a video to go along with that last illustration...





1. Age, Location, Etc.  

39 years, Devon, England. 

2. Some people just ride. Some just make paintings. Is there a moment you can remember where art and motorcycles blended together? 

I think I started drawing motorcycle stuff (aside from in school) about  5yrs ago when I was asked to do some stuff for Bike Magazine by Gary Inman of Sideburn Fame. Id just bought an XS650 at the time. 

3. Where is the best place to grab a bite and sip on some suds in your neck of the woods? 

The good old British Country Pub. The older the better, preferably with beer garden overlooking a river, moor, woodlands or sea. Thereplenty of them near me in Devon (South West England). 

4. CC's or CI

CC’s...for now. 

5. You seem like a real family man, do you have a favorite motorcycle inspired memory where your family was involved? 

My grandparents had motorcycles when they were young, I guess in the 1930’s / 40’s. My grandmother once told me the sidecar she was in, being driven by my grandfather somehow detached like in the movies and she ended up in the ditch! Dunno if she was pulling my leg or not but I remember thinking that motorcycles sounded like fun! 
 
6. What tunes/albums are coming out of the studio right now?  

A bit of a juxtaposition of styles really, a bit of Alcest, First Aid Kit, The Fauns, Slayer, Sabbath, Mogwai and loads of history audio books  

7. Can you describe how you start working on a new piece? Do you have a routine or is it much more random?  

No routine, my life is pretty unorganised and random, revolves pretty much around my girls. I usually procrastinate and think about a piece a lot longer than it actually takes me to paint it.  I could be a hell of a lot more productive if I got my act together. 

8. Can you tell us what Biltwell helmet you have and let us in on what you might be doing to it? 

I got a nice antique white novelty lid (open face). Im keeping the plan to myself but its likely to be mostly black and white with a pinch of radness. 





99 Seconds studio playlist

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde

First Aid Kit - The Lions Roar

*editors note: I might have put Slayer's Show No Mercy album in another post previously, but that one is my fav and it rules so you all have to deal wiith it*

Thanks for the insight Adi! 


-ZK







No comments:

Post a Comment